Monday, January 23, 2012

Way Too Early

This morning was the first time I asked myself, Am I carrying this thing too far?  I awoke even before the alarm went off at 3:45.  I was so tired and bleary-eyed that I didn't realize until after we'd left that I'd forgotten a poop bag for Banks.  All I could do was hope that he did number two in a discreet place (he did).

I was cranky and impatient, and found myself pulling roughly on Banks' leash from time to time.  Sorry buddy.  But as usual, after about 30 minutes, things settled into a groove.  I thought about how I'd feel, after a year, if I really did complete 1,500+ miles.  What might my body look like?  That'll keep you moving. Mostly I thought about how subsequent walks will seem like a piece of cake after this one. 

I thought I'd feel weird and conspicuous, being out at 4:00 a.m., but I didn't give it a thought.  I kept to well-lit Congress for the most part, but felt perfectly safe when I wound through the residential areas to lengthen the walk. 

I'm back and showered and waiting for my ride to the airport.  I'll see you in Virginia.

1 comment:

  1. Up at 3:45 AND you worry about dog poop, you are a much better citizen than most. Have a great trip.

    ReplyDelete