Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Ill-Equipped

Banks and I did our five miles after work on Tuesday. Though we generally stayed on concrete, the last mile found us slicing across one of the fields at St. Edward’s.  Someone must have watered that day, because I felt a cool moisture accumulating in my right toe area.  As soon as we got home, I took the shoe off.  I looked it over and noticed a tear at the top.  I examined the sole and saw some pretty convincing signs of wear and tear.  The left shoe didn’t look any better.
I thought to myself…..How old are these things?  Seriously, when did I get these?  Are they even walking shoes?  Or did I buy them in anticipation of one more (aborted) stab at running?  On top of everything else, they are FREAKING FILTHY.
What in God’s name is wrong with me?  How could I embark on a journey of this magnitude without even a glancing thought to footwear?  What else might I have I overlooked? 
My first instinct was to Google “long-distance walking shoes” and order a new pair online, but then I remembered my last trip to RunTex.  A helpful sales associate pointed out that my gait was prolapsed – no wait, that’s my uterus --  PRONATED, and based on that, steered me to a specific pair of shoes to correct/compensate.  So it’s back to RunTex after work, and just for laughs, I’m going to take my old shoes and get an estimation of the expiration date.  I’m also going to ask a few questions that might spare me from further embarrassment, like, “How many miles does the average pair of shoes have in them?”
If I can pull this thing off, this should convince everyone that if I can do it, anyone can.
The best part of my day has probably already happened.  One of the great joys of having grown children is meeting them for breakfast and having grownup discussions about relationships, jobs and careers.  This is Sam and me at Curra’s around 8:00 this morning.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your personal time with us. I am excited to learn more about you, Banks and your adventures. Taking that first step, on the first day of this new year, I felt like I was with you, without the effort (benefit) of actually exercising. Go get those shoes to help your pronated/prolapsed body and I will donate some aspirine when needed. Maybe you can get Banks a festive set of collars for future holiday walks and post pics of him? If this posts 3 times, I promise, I am not a blogger stalker, just too old to understand how to post. Terri

    ReplyDelete