Sunday, January 15, 2012

Slugging through

I was kind of a slacker today, in no hurry whatsoever to complete five.  Partly it was because I wanted to sleep late, partly it was the gray and overcast weather, and partly it was because I had all day and what's the hurry?  So Banks and I didn't get started til almost 2:00.  And frankly, I wasn't feeling it today.  I had brought my iphone with me, and found myself checking the time a LOT.

I'm not in a bad mood, but there are several things pressing on me.  Those minor, manageable hurts and disappointments that weigh you down a little, things that aren't on your mind constantly, but resurface every so often to remind you that things are not quite right.  The friend who fails to come through.  The middle school student who doesn't seem to be gettng much out of our mentoring sessions.  The adult child who is determined to pursue a path you don't feel is best. 

Completing a five mile walk does not "fix" any of these things. But here's what it does do.  I return home simultaneously tired and invigorated.  My problems are still there, but so is the fact that, in a small way, I have shown discipline and strength.  And feeling strength, I am more inclined to extend grace than pass judgment. To cut myself some slack. To offer up a prayer and trust that my children have the tools to manage their own life.  And that is enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment