Sunday, January 1, 2012

Mixed Bag

Sunday, January 1


First, let me say that today was not my and Banks’ first five mile walk.  To prepare for this, we’ve been logging four- and five-mile jaunts several times a week over the last few weeks.  No sense in sending my body into shock on the very first day of the journey.
So I already had a good sense of time and mileage before we began today, and that came in handy because the app I downloaded (Walkmeter) failed me.  I had already gone 3.3 miles and decided to circle around one of the fields at St. Ed’s three times, which I knew from past experience came to just over a mile.  I checked my mileage after that and saw it was still frozen at 3.3.  I have not a doubt in my mind that I caused the malfunction, but I’m not sure how I did it.
In any event, I completed OVER 5 miles for my first outing, but wish I could have been more precise in logging the time and the distance.  Next time. 
The good news is, the day was glorious.  Just cold enough so that I never had to take my hoodie off, but not so cold that I needed gloves.  My new app allowed me – at least for a while -- to be much more meandering than usual, which seemed to confuse Banks, who is used to a more purposeful route.  We would veer off into what looked like a path in the woods, only to realize it ended after 20 yards, and then make our way back through rocky, uphill terrain. It was definitely slower going than usual.
I was so focused on the walk that I did not even think to weigh myself – unheard-of on a January 1.  After I do that today, I don’t plan to do it again until February 1.  I can get way too obsessed with the number on the scale, and I want my focus to remain on the walk. 
I hope you had a great start to the New Year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment