Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Marking Time

The first think I noticed when I got up today was how totally zonked Banks was -- sleeping in his favorite velvet green chair, and barely raising his head to acknowledge me.  That was first thing in the morning.  By the time I had my shoes on and was ready to head out, he had shaken off his lethargy, jumped out of his chair and was looking at me expectantly. 

Banks is a real trooper, always game for whatever I've got planned, but this morning I made an executive decision to give him a day off.  It had been less than 12 hours since our last five miles, and my gut told me he needed to rest.  So I left him behind and started out, promising that I would retrieve him for the last 15 minutes or so of the walk.

There is a big, all-purpose field at St. Edwards' that has a sand-and-gravel track.  Three times around makes a mile, but Banks gets restless and bored on the track -- who can blame him? -- so we avoid it.  But today, I lapped the thing NINE TIMES, knocking out three miles.  It was mindless and soothing, and I found myself enjoying the freedom to swing my arms, keep an uninterrupted pace and get lost in my thoughts.  As much as I love his company, Banks is a bit high-maintence on a walk, and it was a nice change to not have to keep tugging at the leash while he marked his 14th tree, or to keep switching the leash from hand to hand as he galloped in front of me.  (I know, it's my fault he's not more disciplined on a leash). 

Oh, and I learned yet another way of marking time and distance!  The St. Ed's tower clock strikes on the hour and the half hour, and since I started my walk precisely at 6:00 a.m., it was an easy way to track my progress.  When the clock struck 7:00, I went back home, picked up Banks, and we finished at 7:30.

I'm looking forward to a day off tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Have you tried out a route that takes you through Stacy Park? If you want to mix it up a bit next week, Maccabee and I can meet up with you one morning?!

    ReplyDelete