Tuesday, January 17, 2012

I should do this more often

A cold front was blowing in as I left work a little late today.  I swung by Zen and picked up a veggie bowl, ate it in front of the TV while catching the second Seinfeld, felt myself growing tired.  I toyed with the idea of letting today be my off day, but I knew that was just fatigue talking.  So I grabbed Banks, and by the time we walked out the door, the cold front had fully arrived.

This time, I didn't want to mess around.  No meandering walks, no arriving home to find out how much time I needed to make up.  We headed straight down Congress.  I know the half mile, mile, mile and a half, 2 mile and 2.5 mile markers, and we just kept passing them.  We even crossed the Congress Avenue bridge, which always feels a little treacherous to me, and didn't turn around til we passed 6th St. -- the 2.5 mark.  The first half of the trip is the best:  downhill, with the city I love in front of me,  ablaze with white and blue lights.  I asked myself why I don't do this more often.

Then we started the second half, and I remembered.  Southbound Congress is not a steep incline, but it's a steady one.  Once you cross back over the bridge, it's uphill for well over two miles.  The backs of my knees are aching, and it's time to pull out the big guns -- ice and Aleve. 

It's cold outside and warm inside, and once I finish icing, I'm going to take a hot bath.  I plan to sleep very well tonight.

1 comment:

  1. I was on vacation for almost a week and just got caught up. I LOVE reading about Banks and looking the pictures you post. I'm sorry that your knee hurts and it seems that some days 5 miles is short, some days, never ending? I am rooting for you and will review my ipod for possible tunes, although I think my taste in music is much different from yours, like my taste in decorating, wink.

    ReplyDelete