Friday, January 6, 2012

Hey, I put some new shoes on, and suddenly everything's right

That’s not just a great song by Paolo Nufini, it was the soundtrack to last night’s walk.  My trip to RunTex was a productive one.  I picked up a great pair of new shoes ($100); learned that the average pair has between 400-500 miles in it; and that, though my old shoes had been pretty worn down, they were CONSISTENT in their worn-down-ness, which proved (according to the sales guy) that I had bought exactly the right shoes last time.  He also reminded me, as I was walking out the door, that a good sign you need new shoes is that your knees start hurting.  “One time is a fluke – two or three times, you’re ready for a new pair.”  I shudder to think of how many miles my old pair had on them, and marvel at how often I’ve complained about my aching knees, with absolutely no idea that my shoes could have anything to do with them.
So Banks and I were preparing for our walk when I noticed that Project Runway-All Stars was scheduled for 9:00. Yikes! We flew out the door at 7:57 p.m., took the new route down the South Congress neighborhood, completely forgetting the fact that it was First Thursday, which meant that South Congress was hopping -- even the residential streets east of it were pretty congested with foot traffic and overflow parking.  We are nothing if not adaptable, Banks and I, and wound our way through the crowds, actually enjoying the added liveliness.  Raced into the house at 9:06, plopped down to watch the show, quickly realized that without Heidi, Tim and Michael (you can keep Nina) the show doesn’t have its old magic.  Stormed back into the night with an old-school watch, made up the remaining 21 minutes, and called it a night. 
Rigid, schmigid.  I’m taking this thing seriously.
I’m enjoying my first day “off,” and anticipating the arrival of my D.C.-based brother for the weekend. Hope you enjoy yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment