Monday, January 9, 2012

Near Miss

I woke up several times last night, as I always do when it’s raining.  At first it was a shower; maybe a half hour later it was pouring.  It was about 3:30, and I got a little nervous, because I’m on a tight schedule today.  There’s a commitment after work, and if I couldn’t get my walk in before then, I would run the chance that I’d get home around 9:30, and be too tired to walk. 
So I made the decision to go for it.  If it was still pouring at 5:00 AM, so be it. I wouldn’t even take an umbrella, but would embrace the whole, wet experience.  I would probably leave Banks at home, because he really doesn’t care for water, whether it’s on the ground, or falling from above.
I was almost disappointed when, at just a few minutes before 5:00, I headed out and it wasn’t even sprinkling.  This time we repeated our almost new route, but on the opposite side of Congress, where I discovered the houses were nicer, the streets were MUCH wider, and it had an overall safer feel to it.  My body is getting better and better about estimating the 1 ½ hour mark, because this time we walked in the door only six minutes short of the mark.  I put out Banks’ food, pressed the start button on a new pot of coffee, and skipped up and down a long street to a couple of the dancier tunes on my ipod.
Almost as soon as I got in the car to leave for work it started pouring again.
I love going to work knowing that my milestone for the day has already been met.  I love the good kind of sore my legs feel after I’ve stretched.  I love walking five miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment