Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Seven Days and Counting. Seriously Counting.

I'd have to go back and check, but it seems like it's been a long time since I did my five miles first thing in the morning on a work day.  I'd almost forgotten how good that felt.  This morning, again, I wanted to put it off, either over the lunch hour (remember how well that worked out?) or after work, but one look at Banks' hopeful, plaintive face this morning, and I put my own needs aside. We hadn't been at St. Ed's in a long time, so we focused on that area.  I felt like being completely unfettered this morning, so I didn't take my phone/stopwatch, figuring I"d use the St. Ed's tower clock as my guide.  Well, guess what?  There were no chimes this morning.  I don't know if they don't gong the bells too early in deference to the sleeping students, or if there is some ancient Catholic tradition of no bell-gonging until sunrise, but in any event, I was on my own.  Came home with 12 minutes to spare, fed Banks, and went back out and circled the neighborhood alone.

I know why I'm struggling right now.  It's the unscheduled day off I took last Tuesday as a result of my disastrous, all-day travel adventure.  I try to shoot for Friday as my day off, because the weekend walks are easy, and I like to reward myself at the end of the work week with a day off. But this time, I'm looking at nine days straight before I get a break, and that's been tough psychologically more than physically.  It's confirmed for me that I got it exactly right when I planned for six days on, one day off.  Just knowing that I'm gradually reclaiming that schedule has me in a better frame of mind.

Check in with me tomorrow as I assess the results of my first month.

No comments:

Post a Comment