Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Toe Progress

A while back, I remember writing “There is a time and a place for a therapeutic walk.”  I think it was when my knee was hurting.  Embracing that philosophy helped me not stress about how fast I was going or how many calories I might be burning, or whether I might be aggravating the knee.  I just walked at a modified pace, and focused on continuity rather than performance. 

That’s what I did today. I left Banks at home – it was HOT, and he was a total wimp yesterday – and started right around 4:30.  I walked toward Stacy, but ignored the hills.  I was conscious of some pain in my toes, but didn’t try to contort any muscles to compensate.  I just walked at a moderate pace, stretching out my legs and not coming down too hard on my feet.
And about 40 minutes in, something amazing happened – there was no more pain!  It surprised me, and yet it didn’t.  I’ve always felt, instinctively, that movement is what makes sense in healing a body.  “Resting” an injury sounds like inertia to me, which in turn suggests atrophy.  I had a friend long ago, in California, who had chronic back problems, and whenever her back went out, she would diligently adhere to her doctor’s recommendation of “medication and bed rest.”  Ugh!  It seemed like stupid, lazy advice then, and it does now.  How many times have you woken up with a stiff neck or back, felt like you were going to die as you crawled out of bed, and then, after a hot shower and more activity, realized you could, in fact, work through it?  (My, my, Leslie, the medical community lost a tremendous resource when you went into social work).
I’m ready for another destination walk, and for a “first.”  I’m meeting Brian for breakfast tomorrow at Trudy's near the UT campus, just under five miles from my house.  Tonight I have to go into the office for a few minutes anyway, so I'm going to take my work clothes and a towel, leave them in my office, have Brian drive me to work after breakfast, and use the downstairs shower.  Brilliant!  I just hope I don't forget anything crucial, like my shoes.  Or a bra.  Or God forbid, my flat iron.

No comments:

Post a Comment