Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Gait, Interrupted

I had big plans today, coming off my triumphant five-mile treadmill run/walk at the hotel on Sunday.  I planned to walk Banks a mile (it’s 92 degrees), take him home, and run/walk the remaining four miles around the soccer field.  Off we went at 6:18, and the plan quickly fell apart.  Remember the smashed toes on my right foot?  Yes, they’re hurting, but I’ve done this a lot, and my memory was that once I put on thick socks and well-cushioned shoes, it’s barely noticeable. 

Not so much today.  The right “ring toe” is roughly one and half times the size of the one on my left foot.  Even with the socks and shoes, it hurt.  Wasn’t horrible, but definitely a dull ache.  When I would curl the toes it helped a bit, but then I would definitely favor my left foot.
I’m sitting on the couch now with my foot in a bowl of ice water.  Is it helping?  Who knows?  For all I know, I should have a heating pad on it.  I was determined to do my five tomorrow morning, but common sense tells me to rest it 24 hours instead of 12. 

Well, I did my best.  It was definitely slower than usual, so I doubt if I got in five, but with a possibly cracked toe, I'll give myself a break. 

No comments:

Post a Comment