Saturday, May 19, 2012

Flat

My walks for the last week or so have been rather pallid and joyless.  It’s unavoidable at times – there will be lulls and high points, times when the walks are purposeful and creative and novel, and times when I simply fit them in.  The last five or six have fallen into the latter category.

This morning I dropped Jackson off at Zilker Park at 7:00 AM for the first day of his new job.  I drove the quarter mile or so to the big parking lot where Banks and I sometimes start at the two-mile walk.  The morning was overcast and cool.  In contrast to the last few walks, when I’ve checked my phone every 10 minutes or so, a mile passed  before I knew it. Then the second, then on to Barton Springs, where Banks really recharges his batteries.  I can’t say it was a joyful walk, but the energy from the dogs, the walkers, the runners and the rowers lifted me out of my torpor.  I also renewed my commitment to get back to a more varied and healthy diet.  Macaroni and cheese, a biscuit AND cornbread?  For a mid-afternoon meal?  Please.

I’ll be flying to Atlanta on Saturday for Allison’s wedding, and it couldn’t come at a more opportune time.  Instead of planning a very early, pre-flight walk, just to get it out of the way, I’m researching parks and interesting walks around the city for Saturday, Sunday and Monday.  I’d say a change would do me good.









 Town Lake on an early Saturday:  rowers, boot camp, and Leslie’s memorial, complete with thong, high heels and tiaras.

No comments:

Post a Comment