Sunday, May 6, 2012

Outlet Walking

We had a short but tremendous thunder and lightening storm last night -- I don't even know what time it was, but the thunder was crashing, and it felt like it was shaking the house.  It was so out-of-the-blue that when I woke up I half-wondered if I'd dreamed it, but the welcome cool and damp weather, not to mention the soaking wet Sunday paper, confirmed the storm.  Unfortunately, the cool weather was not to last.  When Lynn and I headed to the outlet malls at San Marcos after church, it was steaming.

Lynn had a brilliant idea for this weekend.  She is a slow -- maddeningly slow -- and methodical shopper, and even her most devoted friends have a hard time hanging with her.  She suggested that I come with her, take my walk while she spent a couple of hours at Saks and Neiman Marcus in search of her mother of the bride dress, and then join her at those stores and give my opinion on the finalists she chose. Perfect plan.  I started out on the sidewalks in front of the stores, but the temptation to window shop, not to mention the congestion from all the pedestrians, made that plan unworkable.  So I stayed on the outer perimeters at the back of the stores, and at the very far reaches of the parking lots -- boring but effective.  But man, was I dehydrated aftewards!  No matter how much water I drank, I had to return to the fountains every 20 minutes or so just to keep hydrated.

Lynn found two fabulous dresses, bought one, and is online-shopping to get the other one in her size. She didn't want to leave the place without a sure thing, but I loved the second one so much that I convinced her to get both of them home and compare them side-by-side.  Lynn has a naturally slim and youthful figure which I can only dream of, and has so many more options than I ever would when making this type of purchase. Well, eight more months of five mile walks, and maybe I'll give her a run for her money.  Watch your back, sistah.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment