Friday, May 25, 2012

I Love Playing Center Field on a Sunny Afternoon

Remember Kirk Gibson?  He played outfield for the Detroit Tigers back in the eighties. He went through a tough stretch for a while, when he got burned out on baseball's long, slow summer schedule. He went to a therpist, and I don't remember if he underwent hypnosis, but he learned this self-fulfilling mantra:  I love playing center field on a sunny afternoon.  It was his way of dealing with the 162 games he was facing, and trying to live in the moment.  He claimed it worked.  That was 25 or 30 years ago, and I remember thinking he was brave and honest for admitting what probably most players felt.

Somehow, "I love walking five miles on a 103 degree day" does not have the same ring to it.  I'm still going back and forth on this one.  Remember some time back when I told you about my plan to approach different gyms and see if I could score one-week trial memberships out of a bunch of them?  I'm still mulling that over.  I heard the other day that Gold's gym has memberships for $25 a month for government employees.  Heck, even I can afford that.  Maybe I should just join for the summer, if possible, and limit myself to three times a week on a treadmill, just til the heat breaks.  Wait, I mean just until September.  The heat breaks around Thanksgiving. 

I'm leaving for Atlanta tomorrow, and the Marriot that's housing most of the guests has a gym. I'm going to let one of my walks be five miles on the treadmill, and see what that feels like. 

Banks and I just got back from a lovely walk.  He stayed with me the whole time, because we stayed close to Stacy Park, and I brought him to the creek three times for long, cold drinks.  KMFA was featuring scores for movies about math -- Good Will Hunting, Moneyball, A Beautiful Mind -- and the music was weird and beautiful.  I got lost in it, and the hour and a half were up before I knew it.

It's going to be a great weekend.  I can't wait to share pictures, experiences, cool things I discover about Atlanta.  I hope all of you have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend.  Stay cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment