Monday, May 28, 2012

Allison Getting Married

Allison, the only niece among seven nephews, got married yesterday.  She and Jason met when he sent out the name of his favorite author on Facebook, and found a match on Allison’s page.  They’re both brilliant, both writers, both poets.  And as in love as they obviously are, the phrase that comes to me every time I see them together is “a meeting of minds.”  At the wedding dinner, the centerpiece at each table was three or four of their favorite books.  In addition to their literary leanings, both are funny, kind, patient, faith-filled, capable of great silliness, and love Bob Dylan and good food.  My sister Betsy, an Episcopalian priest, performed the ceremony, and Dr. Raphael Wamuck, the pastor of Ebenezer Baptist Church, gave the prayer pre-dinner.   It’s been an incredible weekend.

So, Saturday I got up at 5:00 AM (didn’t have to leave for the airport til 9:00), and in the smartest move of the past five months, I decided to get my walk done before the trip.  I had vague ideas of organizing a group walk on Saturday, but we didn’t get to the hotel til about 3:00, people were still arriving every hour, it was just as hot and humid as Austin, and it would have been stressful and weird to take off in the midst of that and come back sweat-drenched.  It actually felt great to get on that plane knowing that at least that had been checked off my list.
First dance
Off to the reception, and on to Peru
Yesterday….listen, I may have to re-think this treadmill thing.  I used the gym on the third floor, and did five miles in one hour, 15 minutes!  That’s how much Banks has slowed me down, especially now that the weather is hotter.  I ran for several stretches at 4.3 mph, and learned that it is MUCH easier to run on a treadmill than out in the real world. When I slowed to walking, I put it at 3.9, which for some reason was significantly easier than 4.0.  Walking outside, I just don’t keep up that kind of pace.  I’m sure than in any gym out there, I’d have the benefit of air conditioning, but in this gym, which was connected to the pool and sauna,  I sweated as much as I would have outside, and had to have Sam keep fetching water for me.

Today?  I’d planned to do the treadmill again today, but I smashed my right foot against a table in my room last night and the three smaller toes are still sore and somewhat discolored.  At this point I don't have time to hit the gym before we leave for the aiport, so if I do my walk, it'll be outside in Austin.  Banks wil be so ready for this, but I may just let today be my day off, as Mondays always seem to be.
Loved seeing the nephews and uncles pow-wowing every c
chance they got -- those 12 years spent at Family Camp summer
reunions paid off
Breakfast with Sam at the Flying Biscuit -- a classic southern breakfast of biscuits and gravy, scrambled eggs and grits.  My brother-in-law, Larry, just poked his head in the door and asked if he could bring me some salted caramel ice cream.  It is all about food in Atlanta.  I BETTER hit the trail tonight......






No comments:

Post a Comment