Saturday, March 31, 2012

Working Weekend

It's going to be close to 90 today, so I wanted to take the walk early.  And for some reason I felt like taking it alone.  I wanted to go a little faster, and just wanted the freedom that comes from not having to rein in Banks.  Speaking of which, I'm going to have to take him to the vet.  His morning gimpiness looks suspiciously like arthritis to me.  Jackson thinks he's older than we thought (six; the pound listed him as five when we got him a year ago) and he may be right. And since I got up later than I'd planned, and knew the track would be unavailable, I figured he wouldn't miss a neighborhood walk as much as he would a trail walk.

Anyway, I left soon after breakfast, at 9:55. I took the Stacy Park loop and then, instead of heading straight to St. Ed's like I usually do, I took the path in the woods off of Long Bow that I took with the boys a couple of weeks ago.  I found the creek where Banks and Zeus had played.  It was slower than last time, but I found a place where the water ran cold and clear over a rocky part of the stream.  I cupped my hands and drank, then splashed the cold water over my hot face and neck.  I hadn't done that since I was a kid.  The trail leads to St. Edward's Blvd., and I crossed over that onto the campus, meandered around until I heard the clock strike 10:00, then on to the track which I circled three times (18 mintues), walked home and in the door at exactly 9:25.

Unless I cave and go see a movie, this weekend is going to be a strictly working one.  I have a meeting in Helotes at 2:00, and on the way back I'm going to find a Home Depot and a Garden Ridge, and pick up flowers, pots, plants and maybe even a hammock.  I know exactly what I need to do to turn my tiny backyard into something special.  Hope to have before and after pictures tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment