Friday, March 30, 2012

Plan B

I was so ready to hit the trail after work. Banks seemed to have woken up with a limp, so I decided to give him a break tonight.  After work (a late visit ended my day at 7:30) I drove to the trail; my heart sank as I saw a multitude of revelers on Auditorium Shores.  Hip-hop music, and huge signs advertising State Farm Insurance -- an odd pairing.  I tried to drive into the small parking lot right off Riverside, and was met by (again!) a police officer who said the trail was closed for the Urban Festival, and would stay closed until Sunday afternoon.  Oh, really?  If Banks and I show up there tomorrow at 6:30, long before the festival's start time, is there really going to be someone there to turn us away?  And why would they?  We'll see about this.

When I got home, Banks was leaping with excitement and clearly ready to walk.  Plan B was once around Stacy Park, cross over to St. Ed's and three times around the track.  The warmer it gets, the sooner Banks peters our before we hit five miles.  He stops in the grass and rolls around on his back, to the delight of any onlookers who see a high-spirited dog reveling in his surroundings, but I know my boy -- he's tired and stalling for time.  It won't be long before I'm going to have to drop him off at the three-mile walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment