Saturday, March 24, 2012

Night Walk

Once again, I got home pretty late for a walk, 7:30ish.  I kept my last disastrous "night walk" down at the trail in mind, but reminded myself that this was Daylight Savings Time. So off Banks and I went, and once again (what is it about nighttime on this trail?) I decided to try the east section of the trail.  It was still light when we crossed the 1st St. Bridge and turned right, instead of left. 

That section does get a little seedy, but this time I had Banks.  As we headed past the 4-mile mark, my decision was solidified by the sight of the masses on the Congress Avenue Bridge waiting for the nightly migration of the bats.  There were also a lot of patrons from the hotels along the trail sitting outside.  I'd totally forgotten about this phenomenon, and hadn't watched the bats in years, so I determined to press on for at least two miles no matter what. 

But at (I think) the 5 1/4 mark, when we found ourselves under the I-35 bridge with several homeless people preparing to bunk for the night, I decided enough was enough.  It was so dark that it was hard to even see the markers, let alone the numbers written on them.  As we approached Congress, I could see that the bat show was long over, and once again, the trail was pretty deserted.  Once we got to the 1st St. Bridge, we continued along to accumulate the miles, but truthfully, I kind of lost track.  We backtracked, crossed the bridge, and then started from the 0 marker, a much safer area.  Judging from the time it took us, it was roughly five, but I can't swear to that.

I don't know what the scale is going to say on April 1, but the sweat pants that I wore last night are going into the trash.  I don't know how long I've had them, but they are now falling off my body -- on top of everything else I had to deal with last night, I had to keep hiking those things up every ten steps or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment