Saturday, December 15, 2012

The Very Last (I think) 10-Mile Walk

It's been a while.

After work I had two home visits last night.  Traffic was horrendous, and I was dead tired when I got home, close to 8:30.  Did I not remember how I almost never plan anything for Friday for this very reason?  That the cumulative effect of 40+ hours of work, socializing, meetings and lunches make this introvert very much ready for a solitary Friday?  Driving home, already tired, I knew I could not face a five-mile walk, not only because of the above reasons, but because I knew I'd be glued to CNN's coverage of the school shooting in Connecticut.  Do not get me started. 

So I did what I've done, I think, four or five times, and skipped the walk in favor of 10 miles the next day.  Which was today.  I had a self-indulgent morning, then a Christmas luncheon, got home around 1:15 and was out the door by 2:00.  It was unseasonably warm, even muggy today, and Banks was not into it, so I brought him home at 3:15.  That left an hour and 45 minutes.  I crossed over St. Ed's campus, wove through the neighborhoods on the other side of it, came back, make ever-tightening concentric circles around St. Ed's, and confidently approached a guy wearing a watch and asked for the time. "Ten after four," he responded.  That couldn't be right, I thought.  Five minutes later I asked a guy staring at his phone.  "Four-fifteen," he said briskly.  Okay.  My knees were aching and I was starving, but I soldiered on.  The time crept by, because I was sure I'd been gone longer, but got home at 4:40.  No problem  I'm going to Fogo's tonight (Sam's college graduation and late birthday celebration), I always park a few blocks away, and I'll neet to take Banks for a fast potty walk afterwards, to I'll make it up.

I dreamed last night that I took Banks to Lady Bird Lake, and someone stopped us and said it'd be $4.95 for access to the trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment