Saturday, December 22, 2012

Still Ailing

Whatever has been dogging me for the past few days -- whether it's cedar fever or just a cold -- it's still with me, though it's waning.  I ended up skipping Steve's party Friday night, and fun stuff with my niece and nephew-in-law, in town from Atlanta, tonight.  I have every intention of keeping up with my social obligations, but then it gets to be around 4:00, and I need to sleep.  So that's what I did Friday, and then again tonight.

But of course it didn't stop my walks, which may be why I'm not getting better as quickly as I should.  Friday, I got up about 8:00 after several hours sleep, and Banks and I went to St. Ed's, where we made the wonderful discovery that we had not just the soccer field, but apparently the whole campus, to ourselves.  We walked the campus grounds just to eat up some miles, then I took him off leash and let him run around the soccer field.  I was feeling pretty rested after that long nap, and I think I overdid it.  Every trip around the field, I went up the very steep hill and back down -- that was seven or eight climbs -- and I felt it today.  I've just been kind of low-energy all day, and once again, required an afternoon  nap.  Tonight's walk, which we finished about a half hour ago, was perfunctory, obligatory.  I only took the steep hill in front of the main building three times, slowly, and took five minutes here and there to stretch out my legs.  I even took a ten-minute break to stop at the exercise equipment near the 50-yard mark, mosly as an excuse to sit down for a while.  I doubt we made it to five tonight.  I just didn't have it in me.

But since I took it easy tonight, and I'm going to sleep a long time tonight, tomorrow it's going to be over.  I'm willing it to be over, the physical and the spiritual malaise.  I'm going to turn off the TV, enjoy my family, and relish the special warmth and goodwill that permeates at Christmas.  It only happens once a year, it's magical, and I'm not going to waste any more of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment