Saturday, December 1, 2012

At Long Last, Knee Relief

I finally, finally took a day off, but it wasn't yesterday, it was today.  Yesterday, it was planned, as usual, but I was meeting some friends after work at Fair Bean Coffee on South 1st, almost exactly three miles from the office, and once again, I couldn't resist that ideal, uphill walk.  I get in a zone when I walk uphill in traffic.  I walk fast and I focus straight ahead.  After that, I walked to my house, a mile away, and then took Banks on another mile.  My knees were really beginning to rebel after nine straight days of more like 50 miles than 45 (all those New Orleans walks), and I decided that come hell or high water, I was resting them Saturday.

Today I had work in San Antonio, and no car, so I took the bus to a car rental place 6.2 miles away.  I wasn't even tempted this time.  My bus driver was an exceptionally chatty guy, and since the bus was mostly empty, and I was sitting right behind him, I was the recipient of all of his wisdom on fitness.  And he had a lot to share.  He bikes, mostly, and is especially conscientious of his health due to his very sedentary job.  We were running ahead of schedule, so at one of our stops, he apologized and said we'd have to sit for about five minutes.  Not a problem, I assured him.  He got off the bus and stretched his legs against a stone wall.  Then he got back on the bus, and with no warning, grabbed the railings and did a "skin the cat" move -- first backward, hold it for a few beats, and then slowly rewind to the standing position.  Okay, that was a new one.  I begged him to repeat it at the next stop so I could take a picture, and after I gave him my word that I was not a company spy, he obliged. 

 
The logistics of turning in my rental car tomorrow by 9:00 am, and getting a ride to Bastrop to pick up my car (if it's ready),  are about to undo me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment