Thursday, December 27, 2012

Four to Go

I ended up taking yesterday off, after realizing there would really be no problem fitting in my walk in Houston.  The memorial service is at 11:00 on Saturday, I'll be in a hotel, and get up, I'm sure, at my usual 5:00 or 5:30 a.m.  It will be a nice change of pace from what I'm sure you're tired of, and what I just got done with:  walked Banks to St. Ed's, went around the campus, went around the track, this time populated by three people and one dog, so no off-leash, blah blah blah....

But get this!  There was something really special about tonight's ordinary walk! Yesterday I was cleaning out my car, specifically the -- is it called the consule?  Something like that?  That compartment between the two front seats where you keep things like CDs, receipts, trash?  I pulled everything out, and there it was....my long-lost ipod!  I know I lost two of these over the past year, but here's where it gets weird.  I SWEAR it's the same ipod that I put through the wash and found at the bottom of the washing machine.  Even though it was totally broken -- I tested it again and again -- I couldn't bear to throw it away, because it still looked perfect.  And that compartment is exactly the kind of place where I tend to keep things like that, things that serve no immediate purpose, but might very well come in handy down the road.  And I charged it, and put in ear buds.....and it works!  Perfectly!

If it is that ipod, and I really want to think that it is, it lends credence to my long-held philosophy that, if you set aside and ignore a problem long enough, it will resolve itself. That is my Type B, middle child way of looking at the world, and damned if it doesn't work half the time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment