Thursday, December 13, 2012

Detour

Well, tonight was an interesting choice in walks.  Maybe it had something to do with the glass of wine I had with my burrito tonight.  After a very early dinner, I chose to get the walk done fast, so Banks and I left the house at 6:05, with no real plan.  But I felt myself drawn toward the lights and smells and activity of South Congress, and went with it.  I assumed we'd do the usual -- get to the bottom of the hill and start the long climb back home -- but as we got closer to the Congress Avenue bridge, it occurred to me that we hadn't been on the Town Lake trail in a very long time.  It was dark, but still relatively early.  So we crossed the bridge, took a left until we got to the 1st St. bridge, and there was our beloved trail, just down the hill.  It was about 7:00 pm at that time, and there were still plenty of joggers out.  Since we'd already taken 2/3 of the walk, I didn't feel the need to stay on the trail a terribly long time, just felt the need to touch base after so many weeks.  On the way back, just for variety, we kept to the residential streets east off Congess, and got home at 7:45, an extra half-mile or so.

I've made numerous references to my recurrent insomnia here, so let me report some good news for a change.  For the past 4-5 nights, I've kept a radio at my bedside with classical music on, VERY softly, all night long.  I've woken up a couple of times, as I always do, but go right back to sleep.  Honestly, I feel like the music -- which I think they deliberately keep low-key during the overnight hours -- seeps into my subconscious and lulls my brain into sleep. Might want to give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment