Friday, December 28, 2012

Last 4:00 AM walk, ever

I am fairly confident in making that statement.  After December 31, it's difficult to imagine being in the position I was in this morning, nervously chewing my nails, glancing at the clock, mentally rehearsing the things I had to do in order to be ready to leave for Houston at 3:00, including walking five.  AS ALWAYS, even on a fairly minor trip like this (two days! and driving!) I woke up about 1:30, overwhelmed with the details I should have taken care of last night but didn't.  Getting money from the bank.  Getting the house ready for Sam to dog- and cat-sit.  Washing the sheets.  Packing.  I stayed in bed til about 2:00, then gave up and started moving.  Slowly.  I have learned that I get so much more done when I move deliberately and thoughtfully through my tasks, rather than running around like the proverbial chicken with her mulleted head cut off.

We'll arrive at the pre-memorial service dinner around 7:30; I want to spend a lot of time with the people I love in that setting, and not have to worry about getting back to the hotel gym for an hour and a half workout, so.....off we went.  It was cold and a little drizzly, and not for the first time, I realized that as much as I have loved this project, it has a beginning, middle and end, and there are some things about the end that are worth celebrating.  Given the time - as I've said before, anything pre-5:00AM feels more like the middle of the night than the morning -- we avoided cavernous, deserted St. Ed's, and instead crossed Congress and walked the residential neighborhoods on that side of the street.  It's hilly and the streets are wider and the sidewalks are less cluttered, and I don't know why we don't do it more often.  I forgot to bring my phone, so had to guess at the time.  When I got back, convinced I'd completed the whole thing, I saw it had been a whopping 45 minutes.  Time drags when you're cold and wet and fighting off a sinus infection.  I left Banks at the house -- he looked grateful -- and went another 25, but really felt pressured to get back and continue my trip prep.  So I have another 20 minutes to make up tonight, but after an Italian dinner, I plan to walk through the hotel halls, up and down the stairs, and I'm actually looking forward to it.

I don't know about you, but I have that blah, post-Christmas malaise.  So much build-up, so many Christmas carols, so much good will and cheer, and then -- it's over. 

No comments:

Post a Comment