Saturday, November 24, 2012

New Orleans

I've been kind of slacking off on the blog the last couple of days, and it's not because I've been lazy.  It feels very strange having, like, half my readership here in New Orleans with me, asking if I've blogged yet, reading my blog right in front of me, asking each other if they've read the blog yet....it makes me feel self-conscious, and appreciative of the normal distance I have between the writing and the reaction.  But I couldn't put it off any longer, because the trip has been so fantastic, and I don't want to forget anything.

But if I've slacked off on writing, I have NOT slacked off on walking.  Oh My God.  The first day I mentioned that my whole family walked five miles around Centennial Park, but I didn't mention that I also walked two miles earlier that morning in search of bagels and coffee.  Yesterday, I again walked two miles in the morning, and we went on an even longer one walk in the later morning, this time City Park which surrounds the New Orleans Museum of Art, and containes a sculpture garden and a lake.  It was beautiful and scenic and over before we knew it. 

Then today. Once again I went out early, this time on a reconnaissance mission for milk for our coffee, just over a mile.  Then it was on to the French Quarter on foot, which Kristin and Keene thought was just over five miles from their doorstep, but I know was at least six, God in heaven, we were walking FOREVER.  And once we got there, we kept on walking, down Canal Street, Bourbon Street, back towards Napolean via Canal to get a cab...honetly, I think I can give myself eight or 8.5 miles today alone.  My sister Betsy asked me why I always feel compelled to make up the miles the next day when I fall a little short, but never give myself "credit miles" when I've overdone it, and I'd never really thought about it.  All I know is that considering what I've eaten today alone, eight miles is just about right.  A bagel for breakfast. Half a turkey sandwich and stuffing shortly thereafter. A catfish Po'Boy for lunch.  (Incredible).  Three begnies and hot chocolate at Cafe DuMond. A drink at Napolean House.

Some of our party is still out on the town, listening to jazz, but we're leaving tomorrow, and I'm walked and partied out.  I love New Orleans, the people, the food, the vibe, the energy.  It's been an amazing few days. Here's a few pictures.

Playing "Smart Ass" -- Betsy Ann (in pink), Allison, Larry, Jason,
Keene, Lynn
Keene and Sam taking advantage of NOLA's
VERY relaxed open container policy


This is Brad and Angelina's house.  Obviously nobody's home

No comments:

Post a Comment