Saturday, November 3, 2012

Artsy Walk

Thas has been one quiet Saturday. Shortly after 9:00, I returned my rental car -- always a tedious task, for some reason -- and upon returning, grabbed Banks and went straight out for our walk.  It was too hot to do anything really adventurous, so we did the "turn right at Live Oak, left on Travis Heights all the way to Riverside, then weave in and out of the neighborhoods and see the fabulous and overpriced cottages I'll never be able to afford to live in" route.  We serendipitously happened upon the Travis Heights Art Trail, and that was very cool -- random houses along they way occupied by various artists, most of whom had their paintings, sculptures, etc., set up right out in their yards.

I was so revved up for Janette's long-planned birthday party tonight, and it got abruptly cancelled yesterday.  We were all going to meet at Brian's house, take the train downtown, have  dinner and a couple of bottles of wine at Carmelo's, take the train back to Brian's, rent an Italian-themed movie, and have an old-fashioned slumber party. Best of all, Brian's houseguest Sam, who's attending cosmetology school, was going to give us all facials and do our hair! But Janette came down with strep, and since she's in Austin Lyric Opera's season opener next weekend, needs to put every ounce of energy into getting better.  At least I scored two comped tickets to Thursday night's dress rehearsal (Pagliacci -- Janette's the keeper of the tavern).

I had bad sleep for much of last week, so today I allowed myself a three-hour nap late in the afternoon. Jackson poked his head in the door and I made the weird comment, probably half asleep, that I was "sleeping off a bad knee." I didn't even realize until I said it that it was true!  You know how when you're fighting a cold, or have a headache, nothing works better than a few hours sleep?  I just had this sense that while I was sleeping deeply, healing power was surging through my left knee, which right now feels better than it has in a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment