Monday, November 26, 2012

Fun's Over

If I had any sense, I would have made today my day off.  Well, I did, actually -- I called in sick.  I really did sort of pick up something in New Orleans.  For the last couple of days I've felt cold and tired, and today I decided to just sleep in and try to recup from the last five days. 

We got in last night around 6:30, and I thought the last thing I'd want to do was my walk, but on the contrary, after 8 1/2 hours of being cooped up in a Honda Element I couldn't wait to start.  Banks is usually a little cool when I return from a weekend, but this was five days, and he couldn't hide his delirium at seeing me again.  Off we went, over our old, comforting route.  I didn't realize until then that New Orleans is a little flat -- or at least the uptown section, where we stayed, was -- and I was ready for those hills.

If I had gone into work today, I probably would have let this be my off day.  I figured my average daily mileage was between 7-8 in New Orleans, and my knees were feeling it.  But I remembered for once to to wear my knee brace, and it is very hard for me to not walk on a day when I have all day to do it, since I know there will be work days when it's really a challenge to fit it in, so off we went again. 

As much as I love to travel, and hang out with my family, that's how much I love reverting to my old routine.  After my walk I kept the momentum going with a trip to HEB to stock up on lots of healthful foods.  There is a time and a place for Po'boys, pies, turkey sandwiches, fried chicken and begnies, but that time is brief and limited, and I am ready to pay the price for the last week's excess.

Oh, and speaking of walking, I may be doing more of it than I planned.  I know a guy, a former relative by marriage, who is an ace mechanic in Bastrop, works out of his own place and is totally honest and willing to work out payment plans for high-dollar work, which I'm sorry to say I am in the middle of.  Only problem is, he has, shall we say, relaxed ideas about time, and my cousin (his ex-wife) had warned me "Don't tell him you've got all the time in the world, because he'll take that and then some."  I left my car with him on Wednesday morning, and then continued on to New Orleans, confident it would be finished by the return trip on Sunday.  On said return trip, he did not answer his phone, and there was no option of leaving voice mail.  He did not answer his phone today either.  This is vexing.  Stay tuned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment