Sunday, November 4, 2012

25 hours

I'm glad that I totally forgot today starts Daylight Savings Time, because otherwise, I probably would have been lulled into a sense of "I've got all day and then some."  It was probably about 63 degrees when I left the house at what I thought was 8:30am, but was actually 7:30, and so beautiful and clear outside that I scrapped my original plan to go Bankless so I could get a better workout. We walked down St. Ed's Drive, took a left into the woods, planning to come out on the other side, but um, I swear someone has tinkered with the trails in there, and I got kind of lost, so we just backtracked, came back onto St. Ed's, I dropped him off at home, and THEN took my "me first" walk for the remaining 45 minutes.  I didn't do the hills this time, but there are some little sloping places around the park,and without Banks to slow me down, I can really get some momentum going.

As I watched the other early morning walkers with their dogs, something occurred to me. Banks does not have the same kind of walk experience that other dogs do. Their owners stroll, carry a cup of coffee, indulge their dogs' every sniff and search impulse, stop and chat with other walkers along the way. With his long extended leash, Banks gets a little leeway, but for the most part, I march right along, breaking stride only when Banks has to pee or poop.  I wonder how many times during a walk I yank impatiently on his collar.  Poor Banks.  Yes, he's in fabulous shape -- that dog is pure, sleek muscle -- but talk about "smelling the roses!"  Or not.  Come January 1, with a new fitness plan in place (which continues to evade me), my walks -- at least the ones with Banks -- are going to be more relaxed affairs, soul-nourishing and social, rather than so focused on accomplishment. Also shorter.



No comments:

Post a Comment