Monday, November 19, 2012

Countown to NOLA

It took discipline, tremendous discipline, to force myself out to walk tonight.  I had my heart set on seeing the second part of "The Dust Bowl" at 7:00, and I was hungry, but just wasn't in the mood for another 9:00pm walk, especially since I've got to get up around 5:00 tomorrow and walk to Mi Madres to meet Brian for breakfast. So off I went without Banks, because Jackson had taken him for two walks today and I felt like walking fast and having some alone time.  I tried to do something different today and took a right off Live Oak, instead of going through the light and proceeding to Stacy Park, but almost got hit by two different cars and decided that narrow and fast street was pretty incompatible with walking.  Back to Stacy Park and the quiet, sloping residential streets.

I got a sweet and supportive email from Keene today after he read my post about my New Orleans food anxiety. He said he and Kristin have also made a point of trying to rein in their eating after moving there earlier this year, and offered to split entrees, take my walks with me and otherwise be a supportive nephew, while also keeping an eye on his own health.  He said something about a very lax "open container" law there which turns a blind eye to people walking with glasses of wine or bottles of beer in their hands, an intriguing and certainly different type of walk than I'm used to.  I cannot take my day off until I'm safely in New Orleans.  I'm betting there will be a day there when I need it badly.

No comments:

Post a Comment