Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Way Off

I met Brian for breakfast at a new venue this morning, the 24 Hour Diner on 6th and Lamar.  I googled the directions -- 2.5 -- perfect! I gave myself just under 45 minutes to get there on foot, because I knew that, Banks-less, I would make exceptionally good time.  The simplest route available was south on Congress, east on Oltorf, and south on Lamar, all the way to 6th.  So I couldn't understand why I got there 10 minutes late, even though I was almost running the last 6 or 7 blocks because it was already after 7:00, our meeting time.  After breakfast, Brian drove me home with the odometer zeroed, and mystery solved -- it was exactly 3.5 miles.  Actually, it was more like 3.7 because I had been forced to take the Lamar footbridge, which veered way off course and probably cost me 5-6 minutes. 

So even though I had planned to walk home after breakfast, I was way too far behind schedule by then, but at least I only have a half hour to make up tonight.  Did I mention it's 104 degrees today?  I mean it.  Tomorrow I go to Gold's Gym, just a few blocks from my office, and I am determined to come out of there with a contract. Preferably a short-term one.

I'm about to head off to Central Market for dinner with Marcy, and that reminds me of something cool that happened a couple of days ago.  Marcy is a bit of a compulsive shopper, buys things on impulse and just never gets around to returning them, preferring to gift them to friends once she's worn them once or twice. Last year she gave me a great pair of black pants, very night-timey, kind of satiny with a recessed print on them.  They were hideously small, and I put them away in my "I have a dream" drawer.  Well, the other night I put them on and the good news and bad news is, the moment has passed.  They totally fell off me when I tried to walk around in them.  I'm looking foward to gifting them to someone else.

1 comment:

  1. OMG, that story about the pants almost makes me want to walk a block! We need to get you a tee shirt that says, "I Rock the Walk!" and a chalk board rectangle on it (my grandson has one so it's real) then you can change the total number of miles each month. Girl, You Look Marvellloussss, to rob a phrase. I am so very proud of you. T

    ReplyDelete