Friday, June 15, 2012

The French Paradox

We all know what that is, right?  The idea that the French eat rich four-course meals, complete with wine and heavy sauces, and somehow avoid getting fat.  I shouldn’t say “somehow.”  Apparently they maintain their trim figures by taking the stairs instead of the elevator, and doing their own gardening.
There was an article in the New York Times a few days ago, about how even French women are starting to pack on the pounds, and are turning to, of all things, Jenny Craig.  Although the meals are much more sophisticated than their American counterpart – how could they not be, they’re French – the whole idea of eating pre-packaged, individual meals is anathema to the culture at large.
Oh, how I want to eat like the French.  It makes so freaking much sense to me.  Let me just give you some of the highlights of their philosophy on food.  One woman interviewed was aghast at the American idea of lining up at a buffet, piling up on what you like, and avoiding what you don’t like. (The author looked at her blankly -- she may as well have been bemoaning the invention of the photocopier). People should be seated together at a table, and the SAME FOODS SERVED AT THE SAME TIME!  That’s eating communally – everyone takes a portion, but is careful not to take too much.  And, they all eat a little of everything, instead of bogarting their favorites.  Someone else talked about the American obsession with calories and low-fat foods, and said something like, if they would just stop worrying so much about what’s on the table and simply eat moderately and enjoy the company and what’s in front of them, their weight would take care of itself.
But here’s the one that really resonates with me:  for the most part the French still adhere to the rather quaint notion of eating three meals a day, with no snacking. The prevailing wisdom over here is, six small meals a day, keep those blood sugars level, watch that metabolism, and God forbid you should ever, ever feel a hunger pang.  Someone in that article made the point that snacking is for children; their small stomachs can’t hold that much, so of course they need an after-school snack and maybe a little something at bedtime.  But if an adult eats properly at mealtimes, starting with something light like a salad, then a small piece of meat with a vegetable, followed by cheese and a piece of fruit for dessert – you shouldn’t be hungry between meals!  Someone else mentioned that their bodies are so much more “regulated” than someone who grazes all day long.
And I agree with that.  Trends come and go, and it seems to me that when Americans were advised to eat three squares a day, there were a lot less fat people. Maybe we’re overcomplicating this thing.  I’ve done the mid-morning and the mid-afternoon snack, and it just makes me feel undisciplined.  Childish, like I’m coddling myself.
Just as I got a lot of good ideas from the “Madame Chic” book about the French lifestyle, I’m renewing my determination to follow the French in their eating patterns.  I went out and bought myself some really good, dessert-quality yogurts and French cheeses.  I’m a horrible cook, but I’m going to up the quality of my take-out.  I just googled Le Madeleine, and some of that stuff looks delicious.  And filling.
I resisted the temptation to put off the walk until the sun went down, and went right at 5:00, which I should really be congratulated on, because I’ve lost my sunglasses.  There are just days when, in a weird kind of way, I want to punish myself, and make it as hard, or at least as uncomfortable, as I can make it.  It worked.  I think it’s only in the low 90s, but it is so dang humid….Banks was happy to be relieved after just a half hour, and I continued on to the hills.  Maybe that’s why I like the punishing walks – it feels so amazingly good to have a hot shower, air conditioning and a cold glass of water when it’s all over.
I mean it, I’m starting it tomorrow in earnest.  The French thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment