Friday, June 8, 2012

Free

How ironic that I was stressed over my inability to get in a walk today.  Tonight’s walk was one of the best I’ve had since I started this.  In the top five, for sure.

Brian and I took advantage of her Living Social coupon for wine tasting, a tour of the winery and a pasta dinner at The Vineyard in Florence.  It was exactly what I needed at the end of a long and very stressful work week.  The grounds were beautiful and bucolic, with horses grazing beyond the vineyards.  Six hundred green, peaceful acres.  I had joked yesterday about facing a walk after a vineyard tour and a designated driver, but the truth is, I’m not much of a drinker, and the probably less than one glass total that I had during the wine tasting was enough for me.  Dinner was three-cheese manicotti, a salad and (gulp) four pieces of bread with olive oil, then we split a piece of pecan/chocolate pie with vanilla ice cream.    
Lynn has frequently asked me if having a five mile walk hanging over my head every day isn’t burdensome, and the honest answer is, of course it is some days.  But tonight all I could think about was this – I had a delicious, indulgent meal, and all I had to do is walk five miles and it’s over with.  I’m fine.  No damage done.  Let me compare that with this time last summer.  A typical scenario would be, overindulge at dinner, hate myself, vow to start a sensible eating and exercise plan on Monday.   Hang with it a few days, blow it.  Vow to start a brand new program on June 21, the first day of summer.  Hang with it a few days, blow it.  Lather, rinse, repeat.  An endless cycle of good intentions, shaky discipline and self-loathing. 

My walk isn’t burdensome, it’s freeing.  It’s simple.  It isn’t easy, but it’s simple.  I long to convince my friends to stop counting carbs and points and do it my way.  Throw the diet out the window.  Go to the pound.  Adopt a big-hearted dog.  And start walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment