Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Up and at 'em

Let me correct something from last night’s blog.  It wasn’t 104, it was 106.

It’s 7:06 and I’m DONE.  How wonderful that feels.  I came home dripping wet and panting, took a shower, and treated myself to a bagel – a whole bagel – with salmon cream cheese on one side and peanut butter on the other, and two huge cups of coffee.  I can handle anything, knowing that I don’t have to walk tonight when it’s, I don’t know, 95?  It’s funny, the tricks you play in your mind to stay out of a rut.  I did the tried-and-true, Banks-for-1.3-and-the-hills-for-3.7.  Usually I take the three hills in the order I come to them:  Leland, Terrace and Mary – up and down each one of them – then turn around and walk the relatively flat East Side all the way back home.  Today I walked straight to Mary, ascended and descended, then did the same with Terrace and then Leland, and had what felt like a shorter walk home on East Side.  Hey, whatever works.
All the way through my walk this morning, I had numbers running through my head.  When I join the gym, I’ll walk Banks 1.3, and do 3.7 on the treadmill.  I usually have the speed set at 3.9 or 4.0 for the walking part, which means I’ll be on there slightly less than an hour, but if I run a good part of it, that could bring it down to maybe 50 minutes.  I’ll do the outdoor walk three times a week, the treadmill the other three.  The possibilities are endless. 
I especially wanted the walk out of the way because it’s going to be another meat orgy at Fogo de Chao tonight, Sam’s long-deferred straight-A celebration with Lynn and Jeff.  Couldn’t bear to have that hanging over my head.  And I didn’t want today to be my day off, because that’s going to be tomorrow, and I AM going to the gym over my lunch hour.  I’ve been rehearsing my pitch for the last 24 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment