Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Overstepping

This is the best news I've had in weeks.  Months, maybe.  It appears that I've been overwalking.

This morning I got impatient with myself and my guesstimatations.  After I walked Banks the usual short route, I got in the car, set the odometer and retraced the route -- 1.7 miles, a little longer than I thought.  Unfortunately, I hadn't thought to check the clock before I left, so I don't know how long it took me to walk it.

After that, I re-set the odometer and traced a route that I hoped would be 3.3.  Doing three hills at Stacy Park, just once each, was 3.7 miles.  I'll cut .4 off of Banks' relatively flat walk.

I could hardly wait to get home and do the route, now that I had an exact measurement. I left at 7:42 and got back at exactly 8:43.  OMG.  That's about an hour to do just short of 4 miles.  It is waayy to stressful for me to figure this out to the nth degree -- I'll find someone smart at work to do that for me tomorrow -- but a gross simplicfication is that I've shaved quite a few minutes off my daily trip.  I was figuring 18 minutes per mile, which is what it was when I started this thing, so I figure I'm now down to about 16 minutes per mile.  That brings me to 1 hour and 20 minutes, rather than an hour and a half.

But I think I'll have to wait til Thursday to get the definitive answer. I'm having breakfast with Sam tomorrow and have an early meeting, so won't have time to walk before work.  Then I'm seeing David for a cut and color, and I'm way overdue, and if I go walking after that, I'll sweat and ruin all his work, and I'd like to look good for 24 hours at least.  So Wednesday will be my day off this week.  Broke the Monday curse for two weeks in a row.

No comments:

Post a Comment