Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Perseverating

Okay, I’m not talking about my toes, but this is kind of interesting.  My day off was Monday, as usual, and overnight, my feet – both of them – seemed to sprout all kinds of things. A big, hard blister on my upper right foot, sticking out kind of like a bunion.  My left foot has a soft, watery blister dead center, right about the instep.  It also has what looks like the remnants of another blister, of the dry, papery consistency of an onion skin, about an inch above and to the left of the other one.  God, my feet are ugly.  Five miles a day is doing great things for my body, but wreaking havoc on my feet.  That’s going to be my next project.

When you work, you deal with all sorts of minor, everyday problems – personality conflicts, occasional boredom, occasional stress.  And then sometimes you get hit with the big ones.  I’ve got two going on right now, the kind that make you lie awake at night and pray for wisdom.  Serious, serious stuff, and you’ve got to get it right.  They’re costing me sleep and, for all I know, are taking it out on my feet.
So no matter what my feet felt like, I knew I needed a hard walk tonight.  Banks and I walked the neighborhood from 7:37 to 8:09.  I dropped him off, and headed to the hills.  Two of the bigger, steeper ones right before the park, and I was sweating and panting at the top of them.  At times like that, my work issues are a distant bell. 
Worrying about  a problem is not the same as solving a problem. I think it’s time to take the advice that  Don Draper (“Mad Men”) gave to his protégé Peggy when she was wrestling with an ad concept:  “Think about it deeply, then forget about it.  It’ll come to you.”  

No comments:

Post a Comment