Sunday, June 3, 2012

The Long-Awaited, Final Toe Update

I mean it.  This thing could turn black and fall off tomorrow, and you won’t know about it.  But things were so bad yesterday that I have to give a brief and optimistic update before we move on.

So yesterday we left off with my foot elevated and my body full of Aleve.  That stuff is a miracle.  It really takes the edge off.  I took another three before I went to bed.  Took another three when I woke up, and then three more at about 4:00, a deliberate three hours before my walk.  Banks only lasted about half an hour, once again, and I went on to St. Ed's myself.  I was aware of the toe, but the pain was muted, gloriously muted.  I felt like I could have walked forever.  Sometimes I have to remind myself that there is a silver lining to illness and injury – it’s the only time you think of your health with any sort of gratitude. 
Lynn and I caught a matinee of “The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel.”  I loved it. I was a little corny and unrealistic for an enthusiastic, full endorsement, but it featured some of my favorite themes:  It’s a big, exciting world out there.  It’s never too late to do something outrageous.  Don’t live out someone else’s script. More things that you need to remind yourself about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment