Thursday, April 19, 2012

Sick Woman Walking

Another day, another two-hour nap after dinner.  How I hate being sick.  The irony is, about three weeks ago, I almost wrote a blog about how my five miles seem to have boosted my already strong immune system, and how I don't think I've gotten sick since January 1.  I'm glad I held off on that one.  My congestion seemed to be moving dangerously close to my chest, but after several rounds of Mucinex, hopefully it's....you know....rising.  Let's leave it at that.

So after I woke up at about 7:15, I hauled myself out of bed and got on my walking clothes.  Jackson was not impressed.  "Why don't you take a day off?  No one's gonna care, and you're probably just making yourself sicker."  He didn't use the word "martyr," but I know what he was getting at.  I don't think he's right.  If I really felt that I was making myself worse, I probably wouldn't do it (but then again, maybe I would).  In some way, doing my five miles no matter what -- rain, sick, tired, bored, burned out -- is my touchstone.   Everything around me might be falling apart, but by God, those five miles will get walked. My house might be a mess, the laundry piled up, a headache is building, I've got to get a report written -- but in the midst of it all, that one thing remains constant. There may come a day when I have truly reached my limit and something makes it impossible, but that day has not come yet.

I'm still walking at a reduced pace.  Tonight, I had the added fun of a runny nose, and just sniffing every few seconds, I swear, sapped some of my valuable energy.  We did Stacy Park, and the hills, but again, at a more comfortable pace. 

Banks and I have a tradition on these walks.  As soon as we turn onto our street, from whatever direction we've come, I say, "Let's go home, Banks.  You did good."  Today I heard myself say "Let's go home boy.  We did good."

1 comment:

  1. Dedicated, motivated, or simply a martyr, it's in the reader's hands, right? I read motivated as I recall the joy you described shopping for less fabric and knowing the miles add up, even if you have not left Austin, hook those 5 a day together in any direction, at this very moment, where would you be? Although I read motived, I agree, take care of yourself, the world won't end if you miss a 5, you won't wake up two sizes bigger. Don't risk your health to add a 5, you can make it up later. Mom lecture over..... for now!

    ReplyDelete