Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Off

I don't normally post about my off days, which Monday was, but Sunday (after I walked) and Monday were so full and amazing that I had to check in early. Remember how weirded out I was at the prospect of two hours amongs the "walkers" during the Easter service? They were adorable. Beyond adorable. All the kids were divided into groups of about seven, with several attendants in each "petting zoo," as we volunteers called the cordoned-off areas to which we were assigned. After brief and sometimes awkward introductory periods immediately after the kids were dropped off, they explored a few toys, walked unsteadily around a bit, and, to a toddler, eventually decided to party. Some were rather serious, some light-hearted, but eventually they all produced gummy smiles, snuggled when they got tired, playfully crawled around on top of us when we stretched out on the floor. We did not have one crier. I told my sister yesterday that I never really thought of myself as a "kid person" but, if I do say so myself, those kids loved me! :-) How fun it was to see how many college-aged guys there were. Their goofiness and utter lack of self-consciousness (you could hear one of them singing Elvis songs from thirty yards away) were the perfect complement to the nurturing and attentive women.

After tear-down, it was on to my sister's house for a delicious brunch, with most of the guests from her workplace. It's always fun to finally meet people who you've heard about for years.

Then it was on to The Great Outdoors, a beautiful locally-owned nursery just a few blocks from my house. My next-door neighbor John, a landscape architect, had offered to accompany me there, after listening in horror to my plans to decorate my back yard with Home Depot foliage. He helped me pick out plants and flowers, mostly native, that were drought-resistant and flourished in shade. (I had always assumed impatiens were my only shade options). We picked out a beautiful variety, which are still sitting on my patio in anticipation of my having a couple of hours to put them together.

Early Monday morning I learned that my nephew Josiah, as well as his mom Jana (my ex-sister-in-law) were in town to pick up a car for Josiah, who just returned from a tour of Afghanistan. I happily threw my walk plans out the window, and made reservations for the two of them, as well as Lynn, Sam and me, at Fogo de Chao. Just before Josiah deployed, we took him there, and he loved it, so we promised to go back upon his safe return. Oh, how that boy can put away meat. Believe me, no money was made by Fogo at our table, not with Josiah and Sam trying to out-do each other. The staff, upon learning of Josiah's service, provided a free cheesecake dessert for him, as well as a 10 percent "military discount" for the rest of the meal.  It could not have been a more wonderful and festive evening, a reminder that no matter what happens in civil courts, family will always be family.

Tonight will mark almost 60 hours between walks. I'm feeling antsy.


John, on the lookout for succulent plants

Lynn, Jana, Josiah, Sam and me at Fogo

No comments:

Post a Comment