Saturday, April 7, 2012

I Gotta Get Shorty on my Iphone

Once again, Banks and I tried to enter the trail via the Auditorium Shores parking lot yesterday after work, only to be turned away -- yet another event is going on, and I'm not sure what.  So we drove to the footbridge near Zilker Park -- the exact 2-mile mark -- and started there.  And once again, it's amazing how much more quickly the walk goes when you just mix it up a little.

I brought a new toy with me -- an FM radio clip-on which is compatible with my ipod ear plugs.  I got the idea it might be fun to listen to NPR, rather than music all the time, and boy was I right.  I loved it.  I just got lost in the stories, and the time flew by.  I will definitely be doing this a lot of the time -- I especially love Morning Edition, and maybe this will help me take my early walks.

When NPR finishes, KUT reverts back to its format of non-mainstream music, and I now have a new favorite song:  "I Gotta Get Shorty Out of Jail," by Andre Williams.  He's an ancient-sounding black man who growls, rather than sings this song, which is evocative of smoke, booze and the streets, and still manages to be hilarious and weirdly danceable.

I woke up last night about 3:00 AM, with my right knee aching.  Really aching.  I was tempted to get some Aleve, but decided to hold off until morning, and to wear my brace and walk slowly today.  I woke up five hours later and it felt just fine.  The knee -- or at least my knee -- is a moody contraption.

It's been a crazy day of mostly shopping -- how I am loving buying clothes two sizes smaller than when I started this project! -- and I haven't gotten my walk in, but it will happen.  I hope everyone has a beautiful Easter tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. TWO SIZES! WOW! I had to do all caps, you work hard for this and you look GREAT! I am almost tempted to walk, almost....

    ReplyDelete