Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Back among my peeps

I hope you are sitting down.  There is evidence, still inconclusive, that I may have lost my iphone.  And if I have, I don't want to live anymore.  Okay, I don't mean that.  Not entirely.  And I haven't given up hope yet. But I am as attached to that thing as everyone else I know -- and I was among the last of the holdouts to purchase one. Until this very moment, I didn't appreciate how inextricably that phone is bound up with my blog.  That's the emotional component.  The financial piece?  I never purchased insurance, figuring my family plan with three phones cost plenty, and I have a hazy memory of playing with the thing, besotted, as the saleswoman talked about replacement costs.   But I believe I heard the words "six hundred."  So, I am requesting a national day of prayer and fasting as I turn my home, car and office upside down over the next 12 hours.

Did you see the film footage of the tornadoes in the Dallas-Fort Worth area?  The sky here in Austin was dark blue-gray as I left the office at 5:00, and with visions of airborne 18-wheelers dancing in my head, I took off down South 1st at a run.  The rain waited til I got under the tree coverage on the trail, but it was sporadic and actually kind of refreshing.  I loved being out there.  Once again, I started out with that odd feeling of "something's not quite right" because I hadn't walked in 36 hours, but 20 minutes or so into it, I was exchanging smiles with other wet pedestrians, admiring their handsome dogs and working up a pleasurable sweat.  I was back among my peeps, and all was right with the world.

Except for the phone.  I'll get back to you on the phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment