Friday, April 20, 2012

Next Year

I still feel like crap, but I'm sick of writing about it, and you're sick of reading about it

Pure instinct told me not to even bother trying to access the lake by Auditorium Shores, my usual entry point, on this Friday, and I was right.  Banks and I started at the pedestrian bridge off of Barton Springs, and as we neared the 0 mile marker on the other side of the lake, the sounds of reggae music got louder and louder, and of course the parking lot HAD been blocked off.  It was actually kind of nice to hear the music for about 15 minutes until we pulled out of earshot.

Although on these walks I see people out rowing all the time, tonight I was struck by the sight of a young woman in a -- I am so not nautical, but was it a kayak? Not super skinny and long, but a little wider than what I think of as a kayak.  Anyway, she was rowing, and her big dog was at the front of the craft, serenely keeping watch.  I would love to do that with Banks, but kayaking has always been a little out of my comfort zone.  Those things look about 18 inches across, with no margin for error, and I could see either of us making a sudden movement and plummeting into the water. 

But it got me to thinking about what my fitness plan will be for next year.  Maybe a little arrogent, given that I'm not halfway through this commitment yet, but iit keeps coming up.  Aimee suggested making Bikram yoga at least a several times a week commitment; sometime last year she got some kind of deal, unlimited Bikram yoga classes for 30 days and she went all 30 days.  Wait, I may have this wrong -- I think it was 90!  I'll have to ask, but she looked fantastic.  Monica thought that instead of walking five miles a day, I should swim five miles a day.  In order to do that, I'd have to give up my job and at least two meals a day.  Okay, so how about swimming a mile a day?  I don't think so.  I'm not crazy about getting wet, and can you imagine what my hair would look like after a year of swimming every day?  Jackson suggested ratcheting my walk up to 10 miles a day, which I immediately drop-kicked into the Bad Idea Hall of Fame.

But I'm open to suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment