Thursday, April 26, 2012

Mind Games


Here is what is NOT recommended for someone who is obligated to walk five miles when it’s 90 degrees outside:  Finish up a very stressful meeting at 5:00 up north.  Decide to pick up Chinese food for dinner.  Pick up said food at 5:20. Sit in rush hour traffic for 55 minutes.  That’s 55 minutes to drive eight miles.  Get home, and eat half of a generous serving of cashew chicken, and a lot of pot stickers.  Realize that you’re very full.  Decide to lay down until the feeling abates, and the sun continues to go down.  Fall asleep.  Awake in a half-twilight haze, and try to think of all the reasons why it would be okay not to walk tonight: I could do five miles Friday morning, then five miles Friday evening.  No wait, I’m going to be home late Friday.  Walk TEN miles on Saturday!  No -- skip tonight, then do six miles instead of five every night next week!
I pulled myself off the bed; Banks shot up, startled and hopeful.  Yes, I thought, let’s just get it over with.  And that’s exactly what we did   Got through it, got over it.  The hardest part on a day like this is just getting started.  As usual, it was just fine once we left the house (for a neighborhood and St. Ed’s walk, not the trail this time.  I am not made of steel).  Not inspiring, not joyful, but fine. Banks’ leash has miraculously healed itself, so I had to take a few minutes to remove the knots and the loop I put in it the other day.  Off we went, and here we are home again. Another day, another five.  No excuses, no regrets.  Just doing my job.

1 comment:

  1. Way to problem solve! Nothing wrong with 6 for 5 days if you need a full day to yourself, just doing my job now. The mom in me, take care of your knees!

    ReplyDelete