Thursday, August 9, 2012

Yin and Yang

Oh, how I hate that expression.  I'm not sure I've ever actually used it -- somehow, I don't feel quite cool enough -- but during today's walk, those words kept coming to mind.  Go to the gym, cram as much speed and endurance as you can into a short, compressed time and space, and the next day, walk free-form, naturally, unhurriedly.  Strain your muscles to the point where they're sharp and tight, and then stretch them out.  I have come to see the efficiency (eat lunch at my desk, leave for the walk at 4:00) of the afternoon trail walk, not to mention getting some sun on these blinding white thighs, as acceptable trade-offs for the heat.  But I am going to have to get a hat or a visor.  Yesterday I discovered a freckle at the side of my nose, and I don't freckle.  And I hate applying sunscreen, but if I'm going to keep this up, that's not optional.

Ever on the lookout for self-improvement, I did something impromptu and unexpected this morning.  While I was filling up my car, I noticed a guy around my age putting gas in his scooter. I've been thinking for a while of getting one, and I've done a fair amount of research, but I played it coy and struck up a conversation on the premise that "I've been thinking of getting one of those, but I know nothing about them!"  It was a split second decision to be more outgoing and more flirty.  My overture was well-received.  He not only answered my questions, but expounded on them, and sometimes even seemed to be reaching to keep the conversation going.  It was cute.  He was cute.  No numbers were exchanged, but it did seem to me there was that awkward moment when that was a possibility.

Well, I've got to do something, because men don't just fall into your lap. Maybe if you work in a law firm, or in a financial institution, but my colleagues are almost exclusively female, and in my line of work, most of the men I run across are in the grip of varying levels of rage.  I keep threatening to join match.com or eharmony, but as I told my friend Sarah, I refuse to put a profile out there and then sabotage it with "need to lose a few pounds."  Give me another month and a half.

No comments:

Post a Comment