Friday, August 24, 2012

Didn't Happen

When I read through my old blogs, I think that people must think I'm schizophrenic. How does life go for most people?  For normal people?  Aren't I a little old for my emotional temperature to vary from day to day, sometimes within the same day? Wasn't that supposed to end with middle school?

Last night I had a powerful, adreneline-fueled walk, a response to a tense day-long meeting.  Tonight I barely had the energy to put my shoes on, much less walk five miles in them. 

I didn't get the promotion I went up for a few weeks ago.  No reason I should be shocked, there were several very qualified people vying for it.  But I was disheartened. Deflated. And that's not the mindset that makes you want to strap on those shoes and hit the hills. 

But strap them on I did. There was a nice, brisk, not-cool-but-not-warm breeze, which seemed to give Banks a little more liveliness -- he lasted just under an hour.  It was hard to do that last 40 minutes by myself, but I used the time to shut off the podcast and reframe. To work, very hard, on lingering and unwarranted feelings of resentment or entitlement.  I can't say I was completely successful, but I know myself well enough to know I'll be better tomorrow, and better than that the day after. For tonight, though, I think I'll indulge in a little self-pity.  There's a pint of peanut butter and chocolate ice cream in the freezer with my name on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment