Sunday, August 19, 2012

Another Week In Which To Excel

Do you bounce out of bed every Monday morning and say that to yourself?  Apparently Jimmy Carter did, during his days at the naval academy.  It's kind of funny and kind of obnoxious and kind of admirable.  I used to jokingly prod my kids out of bed with that statement, which they definitely put into the "obnoxious" category, but always, in the back of my mind, I respected the thought behind it. I like the idea of a fresh start, I like the idea of at least striving to excel, and I like the idea that, even if you don't, next Monday offers you a do-over.

Banks was limping terribly this morning, and I felt awful, especially since I couldn't seem to find the arthritis pills his vet gave me to administer on an as-needed basis.  This morning they were definitely needed.  I flirted with the idea of cutting an Aleve in half; maybe I'll google it and see if that's feasible.  But probably what I really need to do is go back to the vet and get another bottle.

So it goes without saying that Banks did not accompany me on my walk today, but Lynn did.  In all of the almost eight months of this thing, with all the time we spend together, somehow we never got around to doing that.  In fact.....now that I think of it, I have NEVER had anyone accompany me for five miles!  That's kind of amazing when I think about it.  But that's just how I have chosen to do this thing.  Solo or with Banks. With music or NPR as my only other company. 

But it was great walking with Lynn.  She runs every morning, and is more fit than I am, but walking five miles was a stretch for her, I could tell. And the five miles were up before I knew it.

Tomorrow's Monday.  Back to the old routine. Another work week, another week of grocery shopping, bill paying, laundry, lunch, meetings, movies, office potlucks, nursery duty, walks, blogs.  Another week in which to excel.



No comments:

Post a Comment