Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Legs

This is what keeps me going five miles a day, whether it’s hot or raining, uphill or flat, whether it’s a great day or a blah day.  My legs.  Seeing the change in my legs.

I’ve always had long legs – I’m 5-10 – but you couldn’t say I had good legs. They weren’t horrible, just – meh.  I still wouldn’t say they’re great, but they hold their own.  After almost eight months of five miles a day, they’re reshaped and hard, not jiggly.  That’s something I’ve really started noticing when I’m out in public.  Thighs.  They give you away as a person who exercises , or a person who does not. And that, more than anything else, is what I am determined to hold onto when this thing is over.  No matter what my new regime is, it will include long uphill climbs or strenuous gym workouts. For the first time in my life, I love wearing skinny jeans and tights, and I’m not ready to let go of that anytime soon.
But walking doesn’t do much for your arms or your abs, so I’ve incorporated some new moves.  Monday-Wednesday-Friday I close my office door and work out with 12, 8 and 5-pound weights for 15 or 20 minutes.  Tuesday and Thursday, I again shut my door and force myself to do that horrible bicycling thing, and then some modified leg raises.  Raise them about a foot, pull the knees into the chest, straighten them again, lower them again.  I could very well have made that one up, I don’t remember anyone ever showing it to me.  All I know is that when I do standard leg raises, I invariably do something very painful to my lower back.
This morning I took Banks on a nice, 20-minute walk, and tonight I took him for a second one – that’s how much things have cooled off.  The morning one didn’t count, but tonight was about 25 minutes with him, and after bringing him home, I headed for I-35, walked south along the access road, took the next exit (Woodward?) and entered St. Ed’s from the south.  The students are starting to trickle back in; the weather is cooler; hope is in the air; the infernal Austin summer is drawing to a close.

No comments:

Post a Comment