Friday, August 31, 2012

Big Plans


Last night’s walk was very similar to this morning’s walk.  That’s right, this morning. It’s about 5:45, and I’m not starting my walk, I’ve finished it.
I slept poorly last night.  We had another retirement party at work, this one Mexican-themed, and we all overdid it.  Enchiladas, tacos, beans, rice, 7-layer-dip and chips, you name it.  I didn’t completely pig out, but I definitely overdid it.  There was a big, groaning table, in its own office, which contained nothing but desserts.  I picked what I figured was the “healthiest” – a blackberry cobbler, healthy because, you know, it had fruit.  I was actually sitting next to the woman who baked it, and she told me the reason it was so delicious was because it contained a cup of sugar and a stick of butter. I could feel my arteries congeal. So I chose a hard and hilly walk last night through Stacy Park.

I almost had to start my walk at the ridiculous hour of 3:50 this morning, because I won’t have another free minute in the day.  I’ve got a big weekend ahead of me – at least by my standards.  I need to get to work early because I need to leave at 3:00 to get my hair highlighted and cut.  I have work in Houston this weekend, and the plan it to pick up Lynn, drive to a friend’s home in Houston for dinner, get up and do my work, then Lynn and I will head further south to Galveston, where we’ve scored a lakehouse.  (It’s Lynn who has these connections, I just tag along). That means TWO DAYS of five mile walks on the beach!  Maybe it’s all in my head, but I like to believe that walking barefoot on the beach has natural restorative powers.  My left knee is still not completely right.

Oh, and get this!  Banks walked the whole five miles with me this morning.  I can feel him starting to come back to life as the heat lifts.  I cannot WAIT for those freezing days and nights again, when we head out, bundled up, and both of us feeling like we could go forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment