Friday, August 17, 2012

Just a Coupla White Chicks, Sittin' Around, Talkin' About Books


Today I finally met Lynn's friend Terry, whom she's been wanting me to meet for months, and she did NOT disappoint.  They met at a singles event a while back, and while there were no men that excited either one of them, they both recognized a great girlfriend when they saw one, and have been hanging ever since.  So we met for dinner at Z Tejas tonight and had a blast. The main purpose of the dinner was to plan our upcoming book club.  All of my life I have wanted to belong to a book club, and it's finally going to happen. We're calling it the "We Will Not Be Reading 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Book Club." It's a good thing we're so excited about it, because we have met with a baffling wave of indifference from potential members.  "Hmmmm, let me think about it and get back with you," or "Sounds interesting, but not sure I can commit to it."  Terry questioned the wisdom of blogging about the book club, noting "We might get inundated with people wanting to join," which is easily the funniest thing I've heard all week. Well, even if it's just the three of us, we've got a great book to start out with -- "How to be a Woman," by Caitlin Moran, whom I wrote about a while back.

It was a gym day.  I mean, really, how many ways are there to describe walking five miles on a treadmill?  All I can say about today's walk is that I had a great deal of trouble hanging onto my phone.  Three times I dropped it, and three times it was because I couldn't resist turning around to see how my legs looked in the mirror.  I would strain my neck around, the plug would yank out of the phone, and the thing would bounce off the treadmill and onto the carpet.  And I am telling you, the guys in this gym are so self-absorbed, they would have walked right past it if I hadn't pointed it out to them and asked if they could please fetch it for me, which they did, cheerfully.  They were staring right into the mirrors they were walking towards.  Okay, look who's calling whom self-absorbed. 




No comments:

Post a Comment