Monday, February 27, 2012

Oscar Sunday

I had a premonition yesterday morning that The Artist was going to win big at the Oscars that night, and as it was one of the few nominated films I hadn’t see, I put off my afternoon walk and took in a matinee.  It was great.  Jean Dujardin was irresistible – French, and he tap dances? – and about halfway into it, I realized I had a smile on my face virtually the whole time. But that put me on a tight schedule to get my walk in, as my sister Lynn, who makes an event of the Oscars, was coming over to watch it with us.  Banks and I took off for our usual St. Edward’s route, but somewhere along St. Edward’s (Drive? Boulevard?) I noticed a trail going through the woods.  How had I missed that?  We got on it, and spent close to an hour on it, lost.  One trail led to another, and when I finally thought I’d found daylight, came up against a 6-foot locked chain link fence. Finally we encountered three St. Ed’s students taking a discreet weed break down by the creek, and they cheerfully pointed us to one of the entrances. 

It was great!  Lots of little hills, jutting tree roots, some stony embankments, a shallow creek to rock-hop over – really more of a hike than a walk.  It was a great find, and I look forward to exploring it more thoroughly in the coming days.

Don’t know if the reviews are in, but I thought the Oscars were great -- loved Billy Crystal, loved the two guys who truly didn’t think they were going to win and had nothing planned, and finally said, Let’s get outta here, loved all the French speeches, and Meryl’s.  Lynn’s dog Maccabee heard a dog bark on one of the commercials, and here he is, searching intently for his canine counterpart.


1 comment:

  1. Only thing that would have made this better would have been the dogs in tux for the show!

    Oh, watch out for poison oak! Side trails can be fun and glad you found you way out before dark (the mom in me).

    ReplyDelete