Saturday, February 4, 2012

Bad Dog

Well, this was a great way to start the weekend:  leaving the house around 8:00 AM, I noticed an ominous yellow flyer on my doorknob.  Apparently, after piously directing Texas Gas Service to send me only paperless bills, I have systematically ignored their electronic pleas for payment, and today was judgement day.  Yikes. Did an immediate about-face, paid the thing online, and Banks and I proceeded on to Einstein's to get our week's worth of bagels.  Since it was such a cold morning, I figured the bagels and cream cheese would be fine in the car while we did our five. 
I had planned to start the Lady Bird trail at our usual spot -- mile 0, near the Stevie Ray Vaughn statue -- but the bagel place was closer to the 2-mile point, which is a highway-sized footbridge under an overpass.  Just having a different starting point, though we did the same basic loop, added a little freshness to the trip.  Even though it was still early, and I thought the runners would come out after 9:00, they (along with the cyclists and everyone else) were there in large numbers.  Banks and I were having a grand old time, and then.....

Though I usually have Banks on a pretty short (retractable) leash, I had a moment of inattention while I bent over a fountain for a drink of water, and did not notice Banks pulling away as he spotted an elderly man with a Pekingese.  I heard a loud crash -- Banks had overturned a big trash can -- and saw him playfully getting in the other dog's face. 

The old man freaked.  "Get your ffff..." -- he left it at that, but I could see it took an effort for him to control himself.  I said "He's very friendly" -- to which he replied, sarcastically, "I can see that." At which point the leashes became tangled, and I had to  separate them for a long and awkward 20 seconds, while the little dog shrieked, and Banks tried to nuzzle him, looking confused at the chaos he'd wrought. I finally finished and stood up, heart pounding, apologized again, and we took our leave.  And though the 4 1/2 miles up til then had been wonderful, the walk was now ruined for me.

I had to keep reminding myself: before I got a pit bull, I was afraid of them, too. A casual observer (with a lap dog) might not readily see the difference between happy rambunctiousness, and aggression. But I also found myself rehearsing ugly retorts I wished I'd thought of, and thinking dark and ridiculing thoughts about crotchety old men.  The sympathetic smiles from some passersby, and the friendly "It's those little dogs you gotta watch out for" helped a little.

But with enough time to let the dust settle, I know the guy had a point.  Banks does need to be more disciplined on the leash.  I'm going to look into some basic obedience classes, or maybe one that specializes on leash walking.  And while I'm at it, I'll try to work on developing a thicker skin.

1 comment:

  1. I've missed a few, so gotta get caught up. First, good for you mixing up your walks, it does make it more fun and eventually, if you really get tired of town lake, try McKinny Falls State park, only 10 miles from your place. Second, I am glad you didn't come up with a ready retort. My concern for folks who are keen at this is they suffer guilt later, if they have a good heart, which you do, so no retort = a better afternoon and good night's sleep. T

    ReplyDelete